Starting a Website
Steps to a successful Web presence
- Formulate a plan:
- Gather resources for the website.
- Determine goals and objectives.
- Gather, outline and organize your content.
- Develop your navigation.
- Initiate an official website request by submitting the
website request form
(except student organizations and faculty). Most of the colleges have a
to whom we may forward the request.
- Attend an initial Web development meeting.
- Attend CleanSlate training or watch CleanSlate Video Tutorials.
- Create Web pages from a template and integrate content.
- Content is entered into CleanSlate before any design work is done. “Content precedes design. Design in the absence of content is not design, it’s decoration.” 1
- A designer reviews your content and creates a design from it.
- The design is reviewed by stakeholders and approved by all parties.
- Designer builds the approved design into templates for our Content Management System.
- Notify Digital Services or the Professional Technologist/Designer when website is ready to go live.
- Maintain website content.
- Stay informed of current Web standards, follow accessibility guidelines and use best practices.
Know that your website is your front door to the world 24/7/365. Content is king. It requires regular maintenance and attention. Understand that embarking on a site design or redesign will be as much work for you as it is for our staff — if not more. Our staff will work side by side with your group to create an on-brand, accessible, mobile-friendly website.