Skip to main content


If I am a student or from a department at West Virginia University, do I need to ask permission to use a trademark?

Yes, it is important for the University to protect the trademarks and controlling their use will maintain their value. To start the request process, please go to the Student Groups page or the University Departments page.

If my product is not going to be resold, do I still have to select a licensed vendor?

All items bearing University marks must be produced by a licensed vendor regardless if they are for resale or giveaway. For a list of our current licensees, view the Licensees and Retailers page.  

What does West Virginia University do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?

WVU takes seriously the responsibility that comes along with trademark ownership and will take appropriate action to ensure WVU trademarks are adequately protected.

How do I become licensed?

For information on the licensing process, go to the How to Become Licensed page.

What are the registered marks of West Virginia University?

A list of WVU’s registered and common law marks can be viewed on the Official art sheets.

Who can produce products using WVU trademarks?

Only those who have been approved through the CLC licensing process.

Is it permissible to add embellishment to a product that I already own?

No, it is not permissible to embellish products with WVU trademarks.

Can I remove the WVU trademark, so I don’t have to use a licensee?

No, when ordering a product, the design must contain a WVU trademark to help brand and tie your student organization or department to the University.

Can I use the University’s name or logo on a website?

All uses of the University trademarks require permission from the Brand and Trademark Licensing Office. Please email your request to

What is CLC?

CLC is the nation’s leading collegiate trademark licensing and marketing company. CLC acts as WVU’s exclusive trademark licensing agent.

I am a student organization or a University Department, how do I order a shirt or other WVU branded products?

For information about ordering WVU branded products please go to the Student Groups page or the University Departments page.

I am a student organization or a University Department ordering product, am I required to pay royalties?

For information about paying royalties on WVU branded products please go to the  Student Groups page  or the  University Departments page .

I have a design that has been used in the past. Do I still need to submit it for approval?

Yes, each order should be submitted and approved. Branding standards for the University can change. This will ensure your design is current and inline with branding standards.

Does commercial filming require University approval in advance?

Yes, all commercial filming inquiries should be directed to Nikki Goodenow, Director of Brand and Trademark Licensing at

Map of WV showing Morgantown, Keyser, and Beckley locations

Our Locations